Wednesday, June 1, 2016

It's not as easy as you think.

The saying is that everyone has a book in them, I don't doubt that, what I do doubt is that there is an audience for every book. Maybe there is, in fact, I'm sure there probably is, people are weird and everyone is different so maybe people would want to read some of the stuff other people come up with, but my point is, just because you can write doesn't mean you can necessarily sell a book. 
Writing a book is hard work. It's, for the most part, a solo journey. It takes a lot of time and dedication and discipline. To some, the story comes easily, the discipline comes easy and those people are lucky. I'm half that person.
The editing is hard. You write something and you think it's perfect, it rarely is. It's the constant cutting and tweaking and shifting and tailoring, it takes its toll. Then, when you think it's perfect again, you get beta opinions and you have to do it all again.
I don't mind these processes. My publisher has put a lot of money into me so I'm going to make a product they think they can market and sell. But not everyone gets to this point. Sure, you've written a book. We already know that itself isn't easy but in this process, it is the easy part. Not every book is going to get published, nor should it, it's just the way things go. Conversely, not every book published is going to be a success, we can't all be J.K Rowling, as much as we'd like to be. Writing a book is a feat and no matter where we get along the book journey, you should be proud!

I should mention what prefaced this post.
I'm currently reading an ARC of a soon to be released book, you'll see the review and promo posts here soon. I genuinely like the characters, I've fallen in love with them, but the story needs work. It develops in fits and starts and it got me wondering, this book is set to be published in a matter of days, if I'm picking up on the issues with the story (not to mention the typos) then why hasn't someone else? I'm not sure if this is an independent release or through a publisher but it either way I think someone should've picked up on this. A story should be smooth so you don't have lulls where you're reading just to get to the next point. I know there needs to be development but keep it level with the rest of the book. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and people will love it and maybe this is just my personal preference but I think it might have been worth mentioning in the editing stage.
It makes me realise how professional my own process was, how accurate the feedback. I don't, and won't, pretend to know what the market wants, especially in such a crowded market, but the people I handed my book over to have a pretty good idea and I'm so glad! I really want to love this book but I can't help but think they could've benefitted from the same advice I did. I'm not saying this book shouldn't be published, obviously someone thinks it should, I'm just saying, I don't know, I'm saying take the time to make sure it's finished, that you've incorporated the feedback, that you've gotten feedback, because I think it could be great but at the moment it's just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment