Sunday, February 21, 2016

A beautiful idea, Emily McKee.

I wasn't looking for this book but I'm glad I found it.

Isabelle has had a rough childhood and is finally able to leave her hometown to go to college. There she runs into Ryder, literally. He immediately takes to her and they become friends. 
In a line for coffee she meets Sarah who is friends with Ryder. She introduces Isabelle to her friends. I love to group and the dynamics.

Due to a financial aid problem Isabelle is unable to stay in the dorms so Ryder suggests she move in with him. What shocked me was how long it took for them to get together and the fact there was no definite catalyst, it was just bam, they're together.

They enjoy a few months together and then get in a fight and break up. I was surprised they were apart for so long. I though Ryder's feelings would overcome that and I didn't think Isabelle was daft enough to think Ryder didn't care. 

I do like the way the relationship developed though and I like that it was followed to an end.

I really like the supporting characters but I'm not sure I want to read their books, as I've said before I'm not a fan but it may be enough for me to with this lot.

The dialogue and some of the action passages could use some work but the strength of Isabelle and Ryder's relationship overcomes this and takes away just enough so that you don't get carried away, although I'm not sure this a good thing. I think the sex scenes could use work as well, but that's me.

A beautiful idea is a lovely story and I enjoyed it, it was a bolt out of the blue. I would like to see it tidied up a bit but I don't think that's going to happen, but would improve it. Despite this, it's well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment