Saturday, January 16, 2016

Southern Perfection, Casey Peeler

So I just finished this book today and I liked it. It was a sweet, young adult novel about a girl, Raegan and a boy, Emmett. To be honest I'm not sure if it's going to go in my favourites collection but I certainly did enjoy it.

There's not so much heat in this book, being a young adult novel I guess it wouldn't be appropriate, just sweet, young love. 

Emmett has been out of town for a few years, but returns to live with his mother and step father. Raegan, who has gone through a rough time, always remembers the sweet boy that bought her a toy rabbit during that time. When becomes back to town sparks fly, as much as sparks can fly in a YA book. 
They get together quickly and there's no toing and froing for which I am grateful, as you'll learn, I'm not a fan of angst. There's no attempt to mess with the happy couple and I love how unafraid Emmett is to show and voice his feelings towards Raegan. I did think Jace was going to be more of an issue but I'm glad he wasn't, in fact, he faded into the background rather quickly.
The one thing I did find distracting was the constant use of names, like, every time a character would reply to something they'd use the other's name. I also found the dialogue itself a little unsophisticated.

What I did think was done well was Raegan's concern for her granddaddy. I think he's a great character and I like his sass. Do men have sass? Oh well, they do now. 
I think the struggle for Raegan at school and with her 'image' could've been a bit ramped up, giving the book a darker feel, but bringing a 2nd dimension to the story. As it is, it sometimes felt a little one note.

But I did like this book, it was a good escape and a good palate cleanser, give it a go if you need to wipe your mind for a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment